Sunday, August 30, 2009

Oh the treasures you can find in your own backyard!

Today may very well have been my favorite Sunday in a long time :). It's my second post of the day, I know I am crazy, but I had a lovely little afternoon outing that I just had to share.

So recently I started making 8 week goals for myself (thanks to inspiration from Christina), I think I have written about this in another post. But anyways, I had on my last group of 8 week goals to read more about gardening and plants because I just want to learn more about gardening and plants so that one day I can have my very own garden - mini orchard. But I found that I just couldn't get myself to sit down and read a book about gardening or even a Sunset magazine article on it for that matter. Recently through a Stanford Staffers email, I heard about a local nursery called Reynold's Nursery and it has been on my list of places to go see, so today I thought, hey, what better way to learn about plants and gardening then to visit a nursery?!? I wasn't expecting anything great, grand or wonderful, but boy did this place knock my socks off! They had EVERYTHING from packets of seeds for everything under the sun, to planted herbs, vegetables, fruit trees, japanese maples, ginko biloba trees etc etc etc. I am a few years away from being able to have the garden-mini-orchard that I dream of having, but boy was it fun to browse through the Nursery and think up the infinite possibilities! I think I took about a million and one pics, here are a few...

The lovely nursery.

Part of the wall of seeds!!! ooooh fall pumpkins and squash!

Tons and tons of Japanese Maples, my new favorite trees! I will have to have at least one of these one day.

Ooooh and peaches too!

And apples!! This is a multi-grafted tree, the six different branches are each a different type of apple! How do you like them apples...how cool is that!

I'll have to have some figs too!

And lots of fun pots to put everything in!

And maybe some pretty garden decorations like this...

or this...

and I'll need some peppers.

some parsely...

some basil...

and then of course we'll need some hydrangeas...

some begonias...and a few zinnias!

I didn't get to post the ginko biloba trees I want, or the lemon, orange, lime, thyme....the list goes on and on.

2 comments:

comfy cozy said...

You're so cute! I love your enthusiasm!! I myself positively MUST have a lemon tree someday! I don't think it would do well in this climate though so hmm...

Anonymous said...

awwww. fun! i'm sending you a list of places you need to check out since you are now in fact MP.

;)