Monday, April 20, 2009

Just when I start to feel really down and out...

Inspiration comes to the rescue!!!!


Have I mentioned that I have the greatest boss on Earth? I walked in to her office to say hello today and she gave me a book that she brought in. It's called, Happens Every day and it is a true story about a woman whose husband leaves her. I know, I know, sounds like a depressing man hating book, but the reason she gave it to me is because it has a happy ending. I love what a positive person she is.


I started it tonight on the elliptical, which I resorted to after I got locked out of my Stanford Hospital Volunteer Orientation because I was 10 minutes late...I was bummed about that, who knew a million Med Students were going to show up and pack the room to the gills. I will have to make sure to be on time next month.

So anyways, I got to start the book and I am in love with it and almost upset with myself for writing instead of reading right now, but I just can't help it, I had to share about it.

One of my favorite parts so far is when the author is describing what it felt like to have to move home with her two young sons after the divorce and she and her father are having a conversation and he shares a quote with her that Adlai Stevenson said about Eleanor Roosevelt at her funeral, "he said she was the kind of person who would rather light a candle than curse the darkness."

I love that quote, I started crying on the elliptical (I'm definitely pre-menstrual right now). Sorry if you reading this dad.

Changing the subject a bit, I am also reading 3 Cups of tea right now. It's been a bit slow going for me to get into it, but I had a little break through yesterday and it's finally bringing me in.



There was a beautiful part that I read yesterday when Greg (the main character) meets the woman he is going to marry and the conversation they have at dinner after spending the day together.

"Welcome to my life, " Tara said.

"Welcome to my heart," he said.

No comments: