Monday, October 5, 2009

Curried Butternut Squash Soup!

Friday night while I was waiting for Blair to arrive, I got inspired to make some curried Butternut Squash Soup. It was a simple recipe that I found in Sunset---it made the house smell delicious--it tasted equally delicious and it felt oh so fall-y, which as you know I love! I got some pics of the process, but then Blair arrived and I was too busy chatting with her and apparently forgot to get a pic of the final product---oh well I guess you'll have to try it yourself to see how beautiful it looks at the end---such a gorgeous fall color!

Here's the recipe....

Ingredients (There are only 4 ingredients--how awesome is that?!)
1 butternut (or you can use kabocha) squash
1 onion
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp curry powder

1) Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds.
2) Cut the onion in half. (Leave the skin on)
3) Make curry butter by mixing 2 tbsp melted butter with 2 tsp curry powder.
4) Brusher over cut surfaces of squash and onion.
5) Roast squash and onion in a 350 degree oven, cut sides down, until soft, for 45minuntes to an hour.
6) Scoop out flesh from squash, remove skin from onion and chop.
7) Puree the squash and onion in small batches in a blender or food processor (make sure you have a friend named Lindsey who can walk you through how to set up a food processor on the phone if it is your first time :)) with 3 cups of vegetable or chicken broth and any pan juices. (You can use more or less broth depending on how thick you like the soup.)
8) Reheat in a pan, thinning with more broth if you like.
9) Season to your taste with salt and cayenne pepper.
*10) Optional - Top with plain yogurt.



Yummy Curry Powder--I think I got it at Cost Plus.


Melted butter and curry powder.

Beautiful Butternut Squash with curry butter.

The squash and onion roasting.

Squash guts :).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yummmy! i love making a butternut puree with maple syrup.

and i think to myself...what a wonderful world said...

oooooh Kat, that sounds deeeelish! Oh the fall possibilities are just endless I tell ya!