Saturday, February 14, 2009

I am hoping and believing

I am hoping that what Kahlil Gibran says about joy and sorrow is true. That "The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain." (I included his poem "On Joy and Sorrow" below--it's a favorite of mine.)


I am hoping that I take from this breakup an understanding of how to better love someone.


I am believing that even though I am not perfect and have a lot of growing to do, I have a lot of love to give.

and

I am believing that there is a wonderful person in this world for me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note...I am think cooking and being in the kitchen is going to be one of my chosen forms of therapy as I am getting through this breakup. I am trying very hard to remember all the good things I am taking away from this relationship and there are truly a lot of good things (which probably explains why this is so hard for me :). One of them is the joy I have found in cooking. I've always liked cooking, but it was this relationship that really opened me up to just how fulfilling and fun cooking is. I don't intend to give up the good things I have found in the past 2 years for fear that they will remind me of what I had. The past 2 years have been the best of my life SO FAR (emphasis on the so far) and even though there are many moments recently when I feel like I am going back to ground zero, I intend to keep on building and growing.

Whew, I digress...I meant to just briefly tell you that I was excited about the fun I had in the kitchen today making Chocolate covered Strawberries, Chocolate Covered Oreos and a pepper, spinach and ham strata today. I haven't baked the strata yet, it has to sit over night to allow the bread to soak up the egg and milk. My boss makes incredible stratas and I have been wanting to try one ever since she made one for my Welcome breakfast back in March.



On Joy and Sorrow
Kahlil Gibran

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
And how else can it be?
The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.
Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?
And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives?
When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.
When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

Some of you say, "Joy is greater thar sorrow," and others say, "Nay, sorrow is the greater."
But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
Together they come, and when one sits, alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.

Verily you are suspended like scales between your sorrow and your joy.
Only when you are empty are you at standstill and balanced.
When the treasure-keeper lifts you to weigh his gold and his silver, needs must your joy or your sorrow rise or fall.

3 comments:

Abbie and Cyrus said...

Sarah...I have been following your life via this blog for a while now. As I read about your sorrows I thought of this quote:

"Yet if deeper truths do indeed dwell in depths, there would seem to be no way of reaching them without some risk of drowning." David James Duncan

May light and joy fill your days again soon.

Pipas para la paz said...

i love you sister! your chocolate covered strawberries and oreos looked FABULOUS!! eat some for me!!!!!

and i think to myself...what a wonderful world said...

Abbie, Thank you so much for the beautiful quote! I truly appreciate you taking the time to send that, I will definitely keep it in mind as I am going through this.

I hope all is well with you and please say hello to Cyrus for me!