Thursday, February 5, 2009

Determined to stay strong

If you read this you're probably either my sister, my mom or dad, maybe Mel B. or one of the F4L and so you already know that the past couple of weeks have been pretty tough for me. I won't get into the nitty gritty details at the moment, I'm not far enough away from it yet to do that on a "public" website.

I will say that I've spent a lot of time crying to myself, crying to family, and crying to friends over the past few weeks, and today was one of the first days that I didn't feel on the verge of crying for most of or all of the day. So, that's progress right? I suppose the saying that says that "Time heals," does have some truth to it, although I still feel as though I have quite a bit more time left before I am healed.

I have to say that I am so completely blessed to have the most wonderful family and a group of really great friends who have been an amazing support system over the past couple of weeks.

I take pride in being a positive person so it's been hard to feel unable to be that person for the past couple of weeks. And although I don't necessarily feel like being super positive yet, I'm going to do what Suzy used to tell us to do and at least try to "Fake it until I feel it."

In college, during my freshman year when I was really homesick and missing my home and family and friends, I started a "Simple Pleasures" list and made a point to add something to it each day. I'm not sure if I will be as dedicated as I was back then, but I'd like to start focusing on the simple pleasures that surround me everyday so that I can remember that even when things are tough, there is still so much good in the world...

Today's Simple Pleasures

1) Hearing the song "I will survive" on my drive into work today
2) Lunchtime workout with a wonderful co-worker
3) Long phone conversation with Melissa
4) Rain clouds at sunset on the drive home
5) New episodes of the office

1 comment:

Pipas para la paz said...

I LOVE YOU SISTER!!! you are a fighter and i can't wait to see you tonight!!!!!!!!!